For decades the clearing of financial transactions remained unchanged and unchallenged. We asked, ‘What if there was a better way? What if we could make those transactions faster, safer, more reliable and accessible to all?’
Through our banking licence and intelligent, robust technology solutions, we enable our partners to offer real-time payment and innovative banking services to their customers. Together, we’re meeting the demands of the next generation of consumers and businesses. For more about ClearBank®, go check out our Website here.
About the Role
ClearBank is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer within our Platform Team. We are responsible for the development and support of the services we consume from Azure, as well as the software delivery and monitoring stacks. We offer the platform as easy to consume products and services to enable all engineering teams to go faster. Everything we build at ClearBank uses the same Software Delivery Life Cycle and being on-call for the things we own and run is part of this. To fulfil these criteria the Platform Team makes extensive use of Terraform, PowerShell, InSpec and other Infrastructure as Code tools. We also have Principal Engineers in the Platform Team that are responsible for embedding our core architectural pillars of Cost Optimisation, Operational Excellence, Performance Efficiency, Reliability and Security across all the engineering teams.
Technology – You will work with Engineering Teams to understand their products, stacks, and problems to provide increased observability and response to events. A key part of your role will be to assist the platform team in maintaining a tech radar along with the process for introducing new technology and the standards those technologies should meet. This should also include reducing the burden of entry by offering technologies as products or services and providing Golden Paths for adoption across the engineering floor.
Organisational – As a Site Reliability Engineer you will be accountable for the success of incident first response for services using the Golden Path. You will also help the Platform and Engineering Teams embed reliability into products and services early, shifting the risk as far left as possible.
Culture – Promoting and feeding into the companies’ beliefs is key in this role. You will be an ambassador internal and externally. Promoting the value of metrics, SLOs and data driven decisions through great Engineering products and services.
The role requires a passionate person who can manage challenging priorities and remove confusion. The ability to be customer focused and innovative while bringing our engineers on the journey is key.
- Executing our reliability strategy by embedding resilience testing into the change pipeline and helping Engineering Teams prepare recovery plans.
- Building automated chaos testing capabilities and drive execution and reporting of key metrics for resilience testing into the teams.
- Champion an “automate first” attitude, developing continuous integration pipelines to ensure our platforms can scale whilst remaining operationally efficient.
- Working with fellow Engineering Team Leads and the Senior Technology Manager to ensure the top concerns across the floor are understood and prioritised.
- Working with the customer delivery teams to understand what really slows them down and help reduce their cognitive load, enable them to deliver customer value faster and more efficiently.
- Driving cost optimisation, consumption models of cloud resources and drive accountability of costs within teams and help them understand how investments contribute to customer outcomes.
- Being on-call first response to incidents on services using the Platform Golden Paths
- Spotting potential problems before they become service impacting and mitigate the issue
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance trend analysis and system tuning
- Aiding resolving issues via strong troubleshooting skills
- Enhancing monitoring and alerting capabilities (Dynatrace, App Insights)
Skills and Experience
- You have experience supporting real-time SaaS platforms.
- You have expertise in the design and build of highly available, geographically dispersed infrastructure solutions.
- You are confident working in production, and being responsible for production incident first response, and being responsible for engineering and production.
- Evangelist for infrastructure as code and working with immutable infrastructure and configuration tools such as Terraform and Ansible to achieve end-to-end automation
- You have run blameless post-mortems and have this confidence to call up to leadership when toil becomes a burden and provide direction and priority required to resolve (you will get the supported).
- You know what good looks like for customer / developer experience.
- You have previously worked as a software engineer at a senior level, ideally in the platform or infrastructure domain.
- Experience supporting scalable, secure and reliable services in public cloud environments (Azure, AWS, GCP). Experience in cloud native technologies and supporting containerised application technologies including Docker and Kubernetes.
- You have an empathetic mentoring style, and you build strong, effective relationships.
- You care deeply about helping others achieve their product success.
The Legal Bit
By submitting your CV you confirm that you can demonstrate you have the right to work in the UK.
Regretfully we are not in a position to sponsor applicants for immigration purposes at the current time. By submitting your CV to ClearBank Limited you are providing your consent for us to use the information you provide for recruitment purposes. For more information on how we manage your data go and check out our Candidate Privacy Notice on the ClearBank® website to see how we process, manage and look after your data. You are also allowing us to communicate with you by email and telephone for recruitment purposes.